Bear Witness Day
May 10 is Spirit Bear’s birthday and an important date in the history of Jordan’s Principle at the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal. The Tribunal’s first non-compliance order called for Canada to fully implement Jordan’s Principle by May 10, 2016. Unfortunately, it took several more years and many non-compliance orders (September 2016, May 2017, November 2017) against Canada before any real progress was made.
Jordan’s Principle (www.jordansprinciple.ca) is a child first principle and legal rule named in memory of Jordan River Anderson. It ensures First Nations children receive the services and supports they need when they need them.
Click on this link to hear Senator Brian Francis make a statement on Bear Witness Day 2019, honouring Jordan River Anderson and expressing support for Jordan's Principle.
Show your support and "Bear Witness" to ensure Jordan's Principle is fully implemented. Here are some COVID-19 safe things you can do at home:
- Start by reading Spirit Bear and Children Make History so you can learn more about Spirit Bear and Jordan's Principle! You can download a free version located on the website that is shared!
- Take part in the online screening of Spirit Bear and Children Make History!
- Hang out with your bears or favourite stuffed animal at home! Ask loved ones in your home to participate too! You can let your neighbours know that you are participating in Bear Witness Day by placing your teddy bear or a drawing of a bear in the window.
- Host an online teddy bear tea party or bear birthday party to honour Jordan River Anderson and to learn about Jordan's Principle.
- Learn about the importance of Jordan's Principle by reading Spirit Bear's Guide to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Calls to Action
- Watch the documentary Jordan River Anderson, The Messenger to learn more about Jordan River Anderson and Jordan's Principle. Available to watch for free through the National Film Board!
- Create your own #SpiritBearPlan so that Canada complies fully with the rulings by the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal.
- Spread the word and post photos on social media using the hashtags #JordansPrinciple and #BearWitnessDay and tag us on Twitter at @SpiritBear and @CaringSociety, on Instagram through @SpiritBearandFriends, and follow and like our page on Facebook!
Reconciliation is all of us. Read this information sheet for ways you can help make a difference.